The Villa et Jardins Ephrussi de Rothschild on Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat is a popular French Riviera daytrip destination with long opening hours and easy transportation.
The Ephrussi de Rothschild Villa and Gardens on the Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat peninsula between Nice and Monaco is one of the top sightseeing destinations on the French Riviera. The lovely villa with magnificent gardens is open year round and ideal for spending a few pleasant hours while on a day trip to the Cap Ferrat peninsula. Getting to the villa is easy by car and cheap by bus. Visitors using the TER local train receive discounts on admission tickets.
See also Visit the Rothschild Villa and Gardens in Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat for a description of the palace and park.
Opening Hours of the Ephrussi de Rothschild Villa and Gardens
The Villa and Gardens of Ephrussi de Rothschild in Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat are open daily, year round including on holidays:
- From mid-February to end October, opening hours are daily from 10 am to 6 pm (7 pm in July and August).
- From November to mid-February, opening hours are 2 to 6 pm on weekdays and 10 am to 6 pm on weekends and holidays.
The classy tearoom with magnificent views has the same opening hours but is closed on weekdays from November to mid-February. It serves small meals and exquisite cakes. (Picnicking is not allowed inside the park but the peninsula has many suitable spots.)
Last admissions are half an hour before closing time but expect to spend at least two hours in the villa and gardens, or even half a day on a leisurely visit.
Tickets for the Ephrussi de Rothschild Villa and Gardens
Basic admission prices are €12.50 for adults, €9.50 for children 7 to 17, students, and registered unemployed, and free for children under 7. Tickets include admission to the villa, use of an audio guide, and the extensive parks and gardens.
Discount and saving tickets include:
- Families – free entry for second child if two adult and one child tickets are paid for.
- Combination ticket Villa Ephrussi and the Greek Villa Kérylos (in nearby Beaulieu) – € 19 (€14.50 reduced). The second villa must be seen within a week of buying the ticket. (Skip-the-line tickets for Kérylos is available from Tiqets.)
- Groups – reductions given for groups over 20, reservations essential.
- TER / SNCF Offer – show a TER train ticket to Beaulieu-sur-Mer when buying a ticket to receive around €3 discount on a full-price admission.
Transportation to the Ephrussi de Rothschild Villa and Gardens
The Ephrussi de Rothschild Villa and Gardens can easily be reached by car or public transportation from most other French Riviera resorts.
The Ephrussi de Rothschild Villa and Gardens is in St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat, a beautiful peninsula jetting into the Mediterranean Sea between Villefranche-sur-Mer and Beaulieu-sur-Mer, about halfway between Nice and Monaco. By car, use the Basse Corniche (N98) from Monaco or Nice. Limited free parking is available at the villa.
Public transportation is an excellent idea, as all buses cost only €1 and arriving with the TER train gives discounts too. The closest bus stop is Plage de Passable (on bus 81) but it is also a good idea to go one stop further to Office du Tourisme to pick up maps and brochures on Cap Ferrat.
Bus 81 runs from Nice (Ségurane near Garibaldi) to Port de Saint Jean Cap Ferrat two to three times per hour (at least hourly on Sundays) in around half an hour. It is a bus ride with beautiful views passing through Villefranche-sur-Mer and Beaulieu-sur-Mer en route.
An alternative is bus 100 that connects Nice and Menton via Monaco. Get off at Pont St Jean on the Beaulieu-Villefranche-Cap Ferrat border and stroll along the main road onto the peninsula – probably ten minutes walk.
If arriving by train, get off at Beaulieu-sur-Mer station. From here, it is possible to use bus 81 or a pleasant fifteen-minute walk to the Ephrussi de Rothschild Villa and Gardens. Stroll along the coastline and turn inland (uphill) at Place David Niven.
- Visit the Rothschild Villa and Gardens in Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat
- By Train from Nice-Côte-d’Azur Airport (for TER train times between French Riviera resorts)