Michelin awarded two new restaurants with three stars and five with two stars in the France 2018 Hotels and Restaurants red guide.
New stars were awarded to restaurants in all classes for the Michelin France 2018 guide with two restaurants receiving new three stars, five restaurants receiving a new two-star rating and new single stars awarded to 50 restaurants for the first time. The Michelin France 2018 red guide is generally seen as the top guide to French restaurants and hotels with the descriptions of 4,300 hotels and 2,800 restaurants that are considered noteworthy in their respective price classes. The 2018 Michelin Guide France retails for €25 in France but may be considerably cheaper in international markets, e.g. Amazon USA or Amazon UK.
New Michelin Three-Star Restaurants in France 2018
The two new Michelin three-star restaurants in the France 2018 red guide are:
- Restaurant Christophe Bacquié in the Hotel du Castellet near the Paul Ricard racing circuit in the heart of Provence. Chef Christophe Bacquiré uses local produce to prepare modern cuisine.
- Le Maison des Bois in Manifod, Haute-Savoie, is in chalet at an altitude of 1650 m. Chef Marc Veyrat is almost self-sufficient and use local wild produce in refined food.
As before, Paris remains a haven for gourmet food with ten of France’s 28 Michelin three-star restaurants.
New Two-Star Restaurants in Michelin France 2018
The number of two-star restaurants in the Michelin France 2018 red guide increased by 5 to 85 restaurants. The five new Michelin two-star restaurants in France are:
- Au 14 Février in Saint-Amour, a restaurant headed by chef Masafumi HAMANO blending French and Japanese flavours;
- L’Hostellerie Jérôme in La Turbie where chef Bruno CIRINO and his wife offer particularly tasty southern cuisine that has great character;
- L’Auberge du Père Bise, a real institution moored on the shores of Lake Annecy in Talloires that reflects France’s gastronomic heritage, where chef Jean SULPICE showcases the riches of the Savoyard territory through his honest inventive cuisine;
- Takao Takano in Lyon, named after its chef, which stands out with subtle compositions that are designed to respect the flavours absolutely; and
- Flaveur, in Nice, where brothers Gaël and Mickaël TOURTEAUX combine their talents to offer dishes that marry carefully considered ingredients with different textures and delicate execution.
50 New One-Star Restaurants in Michelin France 2018
Michelin awarded 50 restaurants with a new single star to increase the number of one-star restaurants in France 2018 to 508.
In addition to the star restaurants, Michelin also awarded 644 restaurants with the Bib Gourmand for serving a good meal at a reasonable price and more than 3000 restaurants with the Michelin Assiette award for good cooking.
Michelin’s inspectors also noted that chefs are increasingly focused on offering quality food at more reasonable prices and a trend towards shorter menus with more local produce.
Buying the Michelin France 2018 Red Guide
The 2018 Michelin Guide France, or Hotels and Restaurants Red Guide, is available in France from early February 2018 for €25. It may be considerably cheaper once available from Amazon USA or Amazon UK – note that the Michelin France 2018 guide is written in French with symbols explained in multiple languages.