The Allgäu-Airport-Express is generally the cheapest and easiest way to travel by shuttle bus to Memmingen Airport (Munich West) from München, St Gallen and Zurich.
Getting to Memmingen Airport (Munich West, Flughafen Allgäu Memmingen, or FMM) is generally the cheapest and easiest on the Allgäu Airport Express buses. This airport shuttle bus service has direct connections from Memmingen Airport (Munich West) to downtown Munich central main train station (München Hauptbahnhof) in Germany and very cheap fares to St Gallen and Zürich in Switzerland. During the ski season, buses also go to winter sport resorts in the Kleinwalsertal. Memmingen Airport is 110 km to the west of München (MAP).
Private transfers are best reserved in advanced but travelers heading to Munich, St Gallen or Zurich are unlikely to find better value than the bus. For small groups, it may be worth considering the bus and train option combined with the Bayern Ticket of DB Deutsche Bahn (German Railways). This is also a good deal for individuals planning on using further public transportation in Bavaria or Munich other than just getting to / from Memmingen Airport (Munich West). Suntransfers gives online quotations for private airport transfers without first requiring personal details or flight numbers.
Getting to Memmingen Airport (Munich West) by the Allgäu Airport Express
The Allgäu-Airport-Express shuttle buses run to and from Memmingen Airport (Munich West) and München, as well as to cities in Switzerland including Dornbirn, St Gallen, Zürich. The Allgäu Airport Express shuttle buses operate according to Ryanair and Wizzair flight schedules but any traveler may use the buses. The buses generally wait for delayed Ryanair flights but when not possible, all tickets and reservations remain valid for the next available shuttle bus.
Traveling times on the Allgäu-Airport-Express to Memmingen Airport (Munich West) are:
- Munich (München) – 75 minutes
- Dornbirn – 1h05
- St Gallen – 1h50
- Zurich (Zürich) – 2h50
Services to Landsberg, Ulm and Augsburg are no longer available.
Stops used by the Allgäu Airport Express Shuttle Buses Traveling to Munich West
The Allgäu Airport Express shuttle buses use the following stops:
- Munich – Two different stops are used according to the final destination (first departure): Buses with Allgäu Airport as final destinations departs from the more convenient Bus Stop 4 in Arnulfstraße at the north side of downtown Munich’s main train station (München Hauptbahnhof). Buses with other final destinations, e.g. Zurich, depart from the long-distance bus station (ZOB) at Hackerbrücke (one S-bahn train stop west of the Hauptbahnhof, or a ten minute walk).
- St Gallen – Lagerstrasse in front of the main train station (use access tunnel West).
- Zürich – Carparkplatz Sihlquai, Ausstellungsstrasse 12 – two blocks to the northeast of the main train station.
- Dornbirn – Messestrasse 2, with good connections to other Bregenzer Wald bus services.
Tickets and Fares for the Allgäu Airport Express Buses to Memmingen Airport
Tickets for the Allgäu-Airport-Express can be bought online from or directly from the driver (cash only). The fares to / from Memmingen Airport (Munich West) are as follows: (online prices vary according to availability)
|Cash||Online (from)||Cash||Online (from)|
- Child fares are available for children under 12 years of age.
- The family ticket is valid for two parents with any number of own children under 12 years of age.
- Online reservations should be made at least an hour in advance.
- The Allgäu Airport Express gives discount to groups of groups of five or more – generally the first three passengers pay the full rate and additional ones the child fare.
- Surcharges for bulky luggage range from €5-€9.
The Bayern Tickets (or any other Deutsche Bahn railway tickets) are NOT valid on the Allgäu Airport Express shuttle buses.
See also Trains and Buses to Munich West for options to use the Bayern Ticket when traveling by bus and train to Memmingen Airport (FMM) and Getting to Allgäu Memmingen Munich West Airport for general transportation options and a map.