Special opening hours are in place for the Staatliche Museen zu Berlin (state museums) for the end of 2020. Most museums are open already or reopen in October 2020. Free timeslot reservations are essential for all museums.
Most of the Staatliche Museen zu Berlin (national museums and galleries) have reopened but with special arrangements that require time-slot reservations for all museum visits, one-way systems inside the buildings, and other hygiene measures as prescribed by the authorities. Opening hours are generally Tuesday to Sunday from around 10 am to 6 pm. Some of the major museums and galleries are open until 8 pm on Thursday evenings.
Berlin Museums Closed in 2020
Most of the Berlin State Museums have re-opened already following temporary closures due to the coronavirus / Covid19 lockdown or will reopen during September or October 2020. The Pergamon and Bode Museums are due to reopen 3 October while the Kunstgewerbemuseum and Schloss Köpenick remain closed for the time being.
The following museum are closed in 2020 (and, unfortunately, mostly beyond) for renovation:
- Neue National Gallerie / New National Gallery (closed for several years for renovation)
- The Pergamon Museum is being renovated and some halls are closed but most of the museum remains open. The hall with the Pergamon Altar will only be fully accessible around 2025/26 but glimpses of the temple may be possible before then and some statues may be seen in the special Pergamonmuseum. Das Panorama exhibition.
Berlin Museums Opening in 2020
The following museums will open / re-open during 2020:
- The opening of the Humboldt Forum in the rebuilt Berlin Schloss on Museum Island has been postponed again and is now most likely early 2021. The two major museums opening here are the Etnologisches Museum / Ethnological Museum and the Museum für Asiatische Kunst / Museum for Asian Art.
- Friedrichwerdersche Kirche will re-open on 27 October 2020 as a sculpture exhibition area for the Alte National Gallery. Admission free.
Opening Hours on Museum Island Berlin Late 2020
The regular opening hours of all museums on Museumsinsel Berlin (Alte Nationalgalerie, Altes Museum, Bode Museum, Neues Museum, James Simon Galerie, and Pergamon Museum) are open Tuesday to Sunday from 10 am to 6 pm, closing at 8 pm on Thursday.
The Pergamonmuseum itself and the Bode Museum are due to reopen for visitors 3 October 2020.
Tickets may be bought online from SMB but buying from Tiqets or GetYourGuide is a lot simpler and cost the same as the official museum website. Timeslot reservations are essential for ALL museums at the moment and not only the Pergamon and Neues Museum.
Opening Hours of Kulturforum / Cultural Forum Museums in Berlin
The museums in the Kulturforum area are open Tuesday to Sunday from 10 am on weekdays (11 am on weekends) and closing at 6 pm.
The Gemäldegalerie, Kupferstichkabinett, and Kunstbibliothek are open on Thursday nights until 8 pm. Temporary exhibitions in the other museums often have late hours on Thursdays as well.
The Musical Instruments Museum has shortened its opening hours to Tuesday to Sunday from 14:00 to 19:00 and is often closed on holidays – it is not really an SMB museum but included in the Kulturforum ticket.
The Kunstgerwerbemuseum (Applied Arts) is closed due to coronavirus measures. Reopening is unlikely during 2020.
The Neue Nationalgalerie remains closed for a total renovation.
Opening Hours of Museums in Dahlem Berlin 2020
The Museum of European Cultures (Europäischer Kulturen) in Berlin-Dahlem is open Tuesday to Friday from 10 am to 5 pm and weekends from 11 am to 6 pm.
The Ethnological and Asian Art museums have closed here and will reopen in the Humboldt Forum in the Berlin Schloss on Museum Island during 2020.
Opening Hours of Museums in Charlottenburg
The Berggruen Museum and Sammlung Scharf-Gerstenberg are open (from 5 September 2020) Tuesday to Friday from 10 am to 6 pm and on weekends from 11 am to 6 pm.
The Museum für Fotographie near Zoologischer Bahnhof station is open Tuesday to Sunday from 11 am to 7 pm, closing 8 pm on Thursday.
Opening Hours of the Hamburger Bahnhof
The Hamburger Bahnhof – Museum für Gegenwart – Berlin Museum of Contemporary Art is open Tuesday to Friday from 10 am to 6 pm and weekends from 11 am to 6 pm.
The Hamburger Bahnhof is open on Thursday evening until 8 pm.
Opening Hours for Schloss Köpenick
Schloss Köpenick is closed and unlikely to reopen during 2020.
More on the Berlin State Museum (Staatliche Museen zu Berlin)
For more general information on the Berlin State Museums:
- Top National Museum and Galleries in Berlin (brief overview)
- Berlin State Museum What Is Seen Where? (a short description of the collections in the different museums)
- New Opening Hours of Berlin State Museum from September 2020
- Regular opening hours not currently in use: Berlin State Museums Opening Hours (9 to 5 was always going to be too simple)
- Ticket Prices for Berlin State Museums (prices for museums, temporary exhibitions, combination tickets, online time-slot reservations). Buying online from Tiqets or GetYourGuide is a lot simpler and cost the same as the official museum website. Timeslot reservations are essential for ALL museums from September 2020 until further notice!
- Save with the Berlin Museum Pass – 30 museums in three days for €29 – a fantastic savings deal.
- The Welcome Berlin Card All-Inclusive is pricy but includes admission to all museums and top sights.
- Staatliche Museen zu Berlin (official website in German & English)
News & Temporary Exhibitions:
- Top Special Exhibitions in 2020: Highlights, in Kulturforum, on Museum Island, in the Hamburger Bahnhof, and smaller museums.
- For special contemporary art exhibitions in 2019 in Berlin see the Hamburger Bahnhof – Museum für Gegenwart and
- Top Temporary Art Exhibition in Berlin for other major special exhibitions in 2019.
- The Humboldt Forum in the Berlin Schloss likely to open in 2021.
- The Friederichswerdersche Kirche reopens 27 Ocotber 2020, as an exhibition space for sculptures of the Alte Nationalgalerie.
- The James Simon Gallery has opened as an additional entrance to the Pergamon and Neues Museum. Large special exhibitions are usually seen with the Neues Museum ticket (with surcharge likely).
- The Neue Nationalgalerie with twentieth-century art (up to 1970) remains closed for renovations.
More Museums Reviews and Museum Specific Information: