Getting to Frankfurt-Hahn Airport is by cheap bus from cities such as Frankfurt, Mainz, Cologne, Koblenz, Trier, and Luxembourg. Taxis and airport shuttle services are pricey and best reserved well in advance.
Public transportation to Frankfurt-Hahn Airport (HHN) is usually only possible by bus with frequent direct services from Frankfurt am Main, Frankfurt Airport (FRA), Mainz, Trier, Koblenz, and Luxemburg. Trains are not available to Hahn Airport. Taxis and shuttle van transfers are best booked well in advance and fairly expensive – often costing much more than the flights. Klook and Suntransfers give online quotation without requiring too much info in advance.
Frankfurt-Hahn Airport (HHN) is located in the far western parts of Germany around 120 km/75 miles from Frankfurt am Main, the city that is somewhat confusingly mentioned in the airport name. The closest large towns to Frankfurt-Hahn Airport are Koblenz (51 km / 32 miles) and Trier (68 km / 42 miles).
Cheap Public Transportation to Frankfurt Hahn Airport
Transportation to Flughafen Frankfurt-Hahn Airport (HHN) in Germany is limited to cars and airport shuttle buses. Trains do not run to the airport or anywhere close to it. Buses are the cheapest way to get to Hahn Airport using public transportation with airport shuttle bus services available to Frankfurt am Main, Frankfurt International Airport, Mainz, Heidelberg, Trier, Luxembourg, Metz, Saarbrücken, Saarlouis and Simmern amongst others.
Taxis are of course available at Frankfurt-Hahn Airport but relatively expensive. Private airport shuttle services are fairly rare in Germany. For small groups, families with small children, and travelers with bulky luggage (not a good idea on low-cost airlines!) these shuttles may be of value, especially when traveling to destinations not readily served by public transportation from Frankfurt-Hahn Airport.
Klook and Suntransfers give online quotations for private airport transfers without first requiring personal details or flight numbers. However, most travelers will find buses the most useful and by far the cheapest way to get to the airport.
Airport Shuttle Bus Services to Flughafen Frankfurt-Hahn (HHN) in Germany
Buses offer the best and cheapest public transportation options to Frankfurt-Hahn Airport. The frequency of bus services adjust to the flight schedules with more services generally available over weekends and during the summer season.
Regular airport shuttle bus services from Frankfurt-Hahn Airport include:
- Flibco / Bohr Omnibus / Ryanair / IC Bus to Frankfurt am Main (Downtown Hauptbahnhof Train Station & FRA International Airport) – advance reservations through Flibco can be as cheap as €5.
- Flibco / Bohr Omnibus / Ryanair / ORN bus to Mainz via Simmern and (with easy connections to Wiesbaden, Heidelberg and other Rhineland towns).
- Flibco Airport Shuttle to Trier and Luxembourg (airport and city).
- Rhein-Mosel Bus 610 to Koblenz.
Hahn Express to Heidelberg, Mannheim, Ludwigshafen, and Alzey.(service canceled from February 2020!)
All these cities have railway stations with the best connections available in Frankfurt but Simmern and Mainz are good options for traveling in the Rhine Valley.
Bus services are seasonal and adjust to flight schedules – currently, all buses to Frankfurt call en route in Mainz.
Driving to Frankfurt-Hahn Airport in Germany
Driving to Frankfurt-Hahn Airport is fairly easy as the airport is in a rural area with light traffic but good roads. The airport is on the B50 road that runs westwards from Rheinböllen (Autobahn exit 45) on the highway A61, which goes along the western bank of the Rhine River between Mainz and Koblenz.
For older maps and some GPS satellite navigation systems without Frankfurt-Hahn Airport use the town Lautzenhausen (PLZ / ZIP code 55483), which is right at the entrance to the airport.
From Frankfurt-Hahn Airport, it takes around an hour by car to Mainz, Wiesbaden, Koblenz or Trier, 90 minutes to Frankfurt am Main and Frankfurt International Airport, and two hours to Cologne (Köln) or Luxembourg.
Frankfurt-Hahn Airport is popular with low-cost airlines such as Ryanair and Wizz Air, which offer cheap flights from here to all parts of Europe.
- German Railways online schedules: use HHN as abbreviation for Frankfurt Hahn Airport and bear in mind the buses to the airport are generally not covered by Deutsche Bahn tickets and railway passes. Also note that not all buses are included in results.
- Suntransfers and Klook give online quotations for private airport transfers without first requiring personal details or flight numbers.
- Flixbus is a very good source for intercity bus travel in Germany but more often not when traveling from Hahn Airport only the Flibco bus services are relevant at the start of the road journey.