Tramline 2 is the cheapest and fastest way to travel to Nice Côte d’Azur Airport (NCE) from the city center, Vieux Ville, and port.
Getting to Nice-Côte d’Azur Airport is cheapest, easiest and fastest on the new west-east tramline 2. The tram runs from Aéroport Terminal 2 and Aéroport Terminal 1 parallel to the Mediterranean coast and the Promenade des Anglais to the old town and city center of Nice Ville to terminate at the Port Lympia. Trams run every four to five minutes for much of the day with total traveling time over the full route only 26 minutes. The tram replaced airport express buses 98 and 99 as the best way to travel from downtown Nice to the airport and in contrast to these buses, the tram will have no airport surcharge and thus cost only the standard €1.50 per journey.
Note: from end 2019, two tramlines will run from Nice Airport: tram 2 (blue) goes to Nice center while tram 3 (green) goes to the north and is of little interest to most tourists.
Tram Line 2 to Nice-Côte d’Azur Airport (NCE)
Nice’s Tram Line 2 (Ligne 2 de Tram) runs from downtown Nice alternating to either Nice Côte d’Azur Airport (NCE) or to the CADAM prefectural administration center in the western outskirts of the city. Currently, tram 2 runs from Jean Medicin (with connections to tram 1) with the full route from Nice-Port Lympia due to open end 2019.
En route from Port Lympia to the east of Nice’s town center, the tram passes through a tunnel underneath the old town and town center. It emerges from the tunnel near Magnan and travels above ground, mostly along Avenue de la Californie that runs parallel to the more famous Promenade des Anglais (and the Mediterranean Sea).
At Grand Arénas near Saint Augustin SNCF train station, the line splits with every second tram going to CADAM Centre Adminsitratif and others to Nice Airport to stop directly at both Aéroport Terminal 1 and Aéroport Terminal 2.
Traveling on the tram between Airport Terminal 2, Terminal 1 and Grand Arénas is free.
Traveling time on the tram is only 26 minutes from Nice Airport to Port Lympia.
Trams operate at high frequency with four-minute intervals during peak periods. The flat-floor access trams have a capacity of 300 passengers per journey.
In contrast to the previous Airport Express buses 98 and 98, the tram will have no airport surcharge and thus cost only the standard fare – currently €1.50 with free transfers to other buses for 74 minutes. Buy tickets from vending machines (or the ticket window at the airport or online) before boarding the tram – all tickets must be validated at the start of journeys (including after transfers).
Opening Time Schedule of Tram Line 2 to Nice-Côte d’Azur Airport
Tram Line 2 will become operational in phases according to the following time schedule:
- Nice Airport Terminal 2 and Terminal 1 (and Cadam) to Jean Médecin in the center of Nice is already functioning.
- The full line 2 should be operational from Nice Airport / CADAM to Nice Port Lympia by the end of 2019.
Transfer Connections on Tram 2
Tram Line 2 will have several convenience connections (correspondence) with other public transportation methods including at:
- Grand Arénas – close to Nice-Saint Augustin train station. (Travel on the tram is free from both airport terminals to Grand Arénas.) Most regional trains stop at Nice-Saint Augustin SNCF station making it often more convenient than traveling via Nice-Ville SNCF main station.
- Jean Médecin – with Tram Line 1 and one-stop to Gare Thiers (Nice Ville main train station) or to Masséna with many bus lines.
- Garibaldi / Le Château – with Tram Line 1 and many bus lines.
It is expected that the opening of tramline 2 will reduce car traffic on the Promenade des Anglais by 20% or 20,000 cars per day. As a direct consequence of tram 2, the former pricey airport express buses 98 and 99 have been canceled. once the tramline is fully operational. Bus 12 still runs past the airport (Aeroport Promenade stop a short walk from Terminal 1) and along the full length of Promenade des Anglais.
More on Travel to Nice-Côte d’Azur Airport:
- Public Transportation to Nice-Côte d’Azur Airport (NCE)
- Book Day Trips and Excursion Tours in the Nice Region
- By Tram 2 to Nice-Côte d’Azur Airport from Downtown
- By Bus from Nice to Nice-Côte d’Azur Airport to Downtown
- By Train to Nice-Côte d’Azur Airport from French Riviera Resorts
- Transportation to Cannes from Nice-Côte d’Azur Airport
- Transportation to Antibes from Nice-Côte d’Azur Airport
- Transportation to Monaco from Nice-Côte d’Azur Airport
- Suntransfers and Welcome give online quotations for private airport transfers without first requiring personal details or flight numbers.
- Use RailEurope or Oui SNCF for French national railways timetables and tickets. Buying train tickets online is often easier at Omio or Trainline: from Nice-St Augustin or from Nice-Ville.
- Air France for cheap flights to Nice-Côte d’Azur Airport (NCE)