Cheap and Fast Jet Express Bus TXL and X9 to Flughafen Tegel
Public transportation is the cheapest and fastest way to Flughafen Berlin-Tegel Airport with JetExpressBus TXL, X9 and 109 running from Mitte, Hauptbahnhof, and Zoologischer Garten areas.
Buses are generally the best, fastest, and cheapest way to travel to Flughafen Berlin-Tegel Airport (TXL). The Jet Express Buses (TXL and X9) are particularly handy when traveling to Berlin-Hauptbahnhof or Zoologischer Garten areas. Change here for buses to Mitte, Alexanderplatz, and Prenzlauerberg. Tegel Airport is generally the more convenient of Berlin’s two major airports. Welcome and Suntransfers give online quotations without requiring flight details. Berlin-Schönefeld (SXF) is to the south of the city and the preferred airport of low-cost airlines, although following the demise of Air Berlin many EasyJet flights are now conveniently to Tegel.
Cheap Public Bus Tickets to Berlin-Tegel Airport (TXL)
Berlin-Tegel Airport is in public transportation zone B, thus an AB ticket is required to travel to most parts of Berlin. A taxi from Tegel-Airport to Berlin Hauptbahnhof is around €25 – expensive compared to the €2.90 required for an AB-zone ticket.
Passengers transiting to Berlin-Schönefeld Airport require an ABC-zone ticket (€3.60).
Berlin public transportation day passes also cover the bus ride to and from the airport.
NOTE: Berlin Brandenburg International Willy Brandt Airport (BER / BBI) will replace Berlin Tegel (TXL) and Berlin Schönefeld (SXF) airports as the only airport serving the capital of Germany from
October 27, 2013 eventually. Until BER actually opens (current target date 31 October 2020), all existing transportation lines will continue unaltered.
JetExpressBuses from Tegel Airport (TXL) to Central Berlin Mitte
The cheapest and often most convenient and fastest way from Tegel Airport to central Berlin is by bus. Buses to and from the airport generally operate from before 4 am to around midnight. Buses run every 6 to 10 minutes making timetable consultation fairly irrelevant during normal business hours.
Transportation to Tegel airport is available throughout the night but require a bit of extra planning as the timetables are a bit more limited early morning.
Two Jet Express Buses – extra-long buses with special space for luggage – run from Tegel Airport halting only at major stops. These express buses are operated by the regular Berlin public transportation authorities and thus require the standard Berlin public transportation tickets or passes.
- JetExpressBus X9 connects Flughafen Tegel with Zoologischer Garten Station, the heart of former West Berlin, in 20 minutes.
- JetExpressBus TXL runs from Flughafen Tegel to Berlin Hauptbahnhof in about 25 minutes.
Bus TXL no longer continues further into Mitte – use bus 245 to travel from the Hauptbahnhof to reach Alexander Platz via Unter den Linden. Passengers transiting to Berlin-Schönefeld Airport (SXF) should change to trains at Berlin Hauptbahnhof.
Regular Buses from Tegel Airport to Central Berlin
Two further regular public transportation bus services are available from Berlin Tegel Airport (TXL):
- Bus 109 connects Flughafen Tegel with Zoologischer Garten Station in 27 minutes. It basically follows the same route as JetExpressBus X9 but stops more often – amongst others at the following S and U-Bahn train stations: Jakob-Kaiser-Platz (U7), Charlottenburg (17 minutes), Adenauerplatz (19 minutes), Uhlandstraße (23 minutes), and Kurfürstendamm (25 minutes).
- Bus 128 connects Tegel Airport with Osloer Straße – it is an option to enter the U-Bahn network (U6 at Kurt-Schuhmacher-Platz or U8 and U9 at Osloer Straße.
By Train to Berlin-Tegel Airport (TXL)
Berlin-Tegel Airport (TXL) is not connected to the railway network and can thus not be reached directly by train or metro. Long-distance rail travelers generally change to the JetExpressBus at the Hauptbahnhof or Zoologischer Garten stations in downtown Berlin.
- Note that Berlin has an S-Bahn station Tegel and adjacent U-Bahn station Alt Tegel but these do not give access to the airport. To get from these stations to the airport, take U-Bahn train U6 back towards central Berlin and change at Kurt-Schuhmacher-Platz to bus 128 to Tegel Airport.
Other ways to enter the U-Bahn and S-Bahn railway networks when traveling from Tegel Airport include: JetExpressBus X9 and bus 109 stop at U-Bahn Station Jakob-Kaiser-Platz (U7 to Spandau) and Jungfernheide (S-Bahn ring). JetExpressBus TXL stops at Beusselstraße (S-Bahn ring).
Berlin’s second airport – Flughafen Berlin-Schönefeld (SXF) – is also easily reached on public transportation although trains are generally used from downtown Berlin. Transiting between TXL and SXF airport can be done in just over an hour using buses to Berlin Hauptbahnhof from Tegel and trains from here to Schönefeld. Suntransfers and Welcome give online quotations for private airport transfers without first requiring personal details or flight numbers.