Special opening hours are in place for the Staatliche Museen zu Berlin (state museums) for early 2021. Free timeslot reservations are essential for all museums.
Note: All Berlin State Museums are currently closed!
Almost all of the Staatliche Museen zu Berlin (national museums and galleries) are due to reopen in early 2021 but with special arrangements that require time-slot reservations for all museum visits, one-way systems inside the buildings, and other hygiene measures as prescribed by the authorities. Opening hours are generally Tuesday to Sunday from around 10 am to 6 pm. The major museums and galleries are open until 8 pm on Thursday evenings.
Note: currently all museums in Berlin are closed. It is unlikely that museums will reopen before the end of January 2021. Time-slot reservations are likely to be required for all museums during 2021. Many tickets and passes will not be on sale in advance while the museums are closed.
Berlin Museums Closed or Reopening During 2021
Although construction and restoration work continues on many Berlin State Museums, by the end of 2021 all museums should be open, although some major exhibitions remain closed.
The following museums will open / re-open during 2021:
- The Humboldt Forum in the rebuilt Berlin Schloss on Museum Island opened partly in December 2020. The two major museums opening here towards the end of 2021 are the Etnologisches Museum / Ethnological Museum and the Museum für Asiatische Kunst / Museum for Asian Art. Both museums will only be completely open in 2022.
- Neue National Gallerie / New National Gallery is due to reopen by summer 2021. It exhibits mostly 20th-century European and Western paintings and sculptures mostly from pre-1970.
The following major museum exhibitions remain closed in 2021:
- The Pergamon Museum is being renovated and some halls may be closed but most of the museum remains open. The hall with the Pergamon Altar will only be fully accessible around 2025/26 but glimpses of the temple may be possible before then and some statues may be seen in the special Pergamonmuseum. Das Panorama exhibition.
Opening Hours on Museum Island Berlin Late 2021
Note: All Berlin State Museums are currently closed!
The regular opening hours of the traditional museums on Museumsinsel Berlin:
- The Altes Museum, Altes National Galerie, James Simon Galerie, Neues Museum, the Pergamonmuseum. Das Panorama Exhibition, the Pergamonmuseum itself, and the Bode Museum, are open Tuesday to Sunday from 10 am to 6 pm, closing at 8 pm on Thursday.
No museums are open on Mondays.
Opening hours for the Humboldt Forum have not been confirmed yet.
Tickets may be bought online from SMB but buying from Tiqets or GetYourGuide is a lot simpler and cost the same as the official museum website. Timeslot reservations are essential for ALL museums at the moment and not only the Pergamon and Neues Museum.
Opening Hours of Kulturforum / Cultural Forum Museums in Berlin
The museums in the Kulturforum area are open Tuesday to Sunday from 10 am on weekdays (11 am on weekends) and closing at 6 pm.
The Gemäldegalerie, Kupferstichkabinett, and Kunstbibliothek are open on Thursday nights until 8 pm. Temporary exhibitions in the other museums often have late hours on Thursdays as well.
The Musical Instruments Museum has shortened its opening hours to Tuesday to Sunday from 14:00 to 19:00 and is often closed on holidays – it is not really an SMB museum but included in the Kulturforum ticket.
The Kunstgerwerbemuseum (Applied Arts) may currently be visited as part of a guided tour.
The Neue Nationalgalerie remains closed for a total renovation — it is due to reopen in summer 2021.
Opening Hours of Museums in Dahlem Berlin 2021
The Museum of European Cultures (Europäischer Kulturen) in Berlin-Dahlem is open Tuesday to Friday from 10 am to 5 pm and weekends from 11 am to 6 pm.
The Ethnological and Asian Art museums have closed here and will reopen in the Humboldt Forum in the Berlin Schloss on Museum Island during 2021.
Opening Hours of Museums in Charlottenburg
The Berggruen Museum and Sammlung Scharf-Gerstenberg are open (from 5 September 2020) Tuesday to Friday from 10 am to 6 pm and on weekends from 11 am to 6 pm.
The Museum für Fotographie near Zoologischer Bahnhof station is open Tuesday to Sunday from 11 am to 7 pm, closing 8 pm on Thursday.
Opening Hours of the Hamburger Bahnhof
The Hamburger Bahnhof – Museum für Gegenwart – Berlin Museum of Contemporary Art is open Tuesday to Friday from 10 am to 6 pm and weekends from 11 am to 6 pm.
The Hamburger Bahnhof is open on Thursday evening until 8 pm.
Opening Hours for Schloss Köpenick
Schloss Köpenick is closed.
More on the Berlin State Museum (Staatliche Museen zu Berlin)
Note: All Berlin State Museums are closed and likely to reopen towards the end of January 2021.
For more general information on the Berlin State Museums:
- Top National Museum and Galleries in Berlin (brief overview)
- Berlin State Museum What Is Seen Where? (a short description of the collections in the different museums)
New Opening Hours of Berlin State Museum from October 2020. Note: All Berlin State Museums are closed
- Regular opening hours not currently in use: Berlin State Museums Opening Hours (9 to 5 was always going to be too simple)
- Ticket Prices for Berlin State Museums (prices for museums, temporary exhibitions, combination tickets, online time-slot reservations). Buying online from Tiqets or GetYourGuide is a lot simpler and costs the same as the official museum website. Timeslot reservations are essential for ALL museums from September 2020 until further notice!
- Save with the Berlin Museum Pass – 30 museums in three days for €29 – a fantastic savings deal. Buy at Tiqets as an instant-use mobile ticket.
- The Welcome Berlin Card All-Inclusive is pricy but includes admission to all museums and top sights.
- Staatliche Museen zu Berlin (official website in German & English)
News & Temporary Exhibitions:
- Top Special Temporary Exhibitions in 2021 — including the reopening of the Neue Nationalgalerie, as well as the Ethnological and Asian Art Museums in the Humboldt Forum.
- Top Special Exhibitions in 2020: Highlights, in Kulturforum, on Museum Island, in the Hamburger Bahnhof, smaller museums, and the opening of the Humboldt Forum in December.
- The Humboldt Forum in the Berlin Schloss opened (virtually) on 17 December 2020. Galleries and exhibitions will open in phases spread over a year. The Ethnological and Asian Art museum will only open towards the end of 2021 and the full museums only open by 2022.
- The Friederichswerdersche Kirche reopened in October 2020, as an exhibition space for sculptures of the Alte Nationalgalerie.
- The James Simon Gallery has opened as an additional entrance to the Pergamon and Neues Museum. Large special exhibitions are usually seen with the Neues Museum ticket (with surcharge likely).
- The Neue Nationalgalerie with twentieth-century art (up to 1970) is due to reopen in summer 2021.
More Museums Reviews and Museum Specific Information: