The Staatliche Museen zu Berlin are mostly open Tuesday to Sunday, a few open on Monday, many have longer opening hours on Thursday evenings, and most museums open on public holidays.
See Update for Opening Hours of the Berlin State Museums — the regular opening times listed below are not currently in use. Time-slot ticket reservations are essential for many top museums.
The Staatliche Museen zu Berlin (national museums and galleries) are generally open Tuesday to Sunday from around 10 am to 6 pm. Some of the major museums and galleries are open until 8 pm on Thursday evenings. Only the Pergamon Museum (including Panorama Exhibition) and Neues Museum require time-slot ticket reservations (free and the only sensible way to see these top museums) and are open on regular Mondays as well.
All Berlin state museums are open in 2022. From 16 May 2022, time-slot reservations are essential only for the Alte Nationalgalerie, Neue Nationalgalerie, Neues Museum, Pergamon Museum and Das Panorama, Asian Art, and Ethnological Museums. Buy tickets and make reservations online at GetYourGuide or at SMB. Online tickets for museums without timeslot reservations are skip-the-line — go directly to the entrance to scan the ticket. Many multiple-museum tickets and passes are again accepted. The 3-day Berlin Museum Pass is excellent value.
See Update for Opening Hours of the Berlin State Museums (2022) for the latest information.
The Berlin State Museums are open on most public holidays (including on holiday Mondays) – using Sunday opening hours. The museums are usually closed on December 24 and 31 (what isn’t in Germany?) but open on Christmas Day itself and opening around noon on January 1.
Berlin Museums Closed or Reopening During 2021
Although construction and restoration work continues on many Berlin State Museums, by the end of 2021 all museums should be open, although some major exhibitions remain closed.
The following museums will open / re-open during 2021:
- The Humboldt Forum in the rebuilt Berlin Schloss on Museum Island opened partly in December 2020. The two major museums opening here towards the end of 2021 are the Etnologisches Museum / Ethnological Museum and the Museum für Asiatische Kunst / Museum for Asian Art. Both museums will only be completely open in 2022.
- Neue Nationalgalerie / New National Gallery reopened August 2021. It exhibits mostly 20th-century European and Western paintings and sculptures mostly from pre-1970.
The following major museum exhibitions remain closed in 2021:
- The Pergamon Museum is being renovated and some halls may be closed but most of the museum remains open. The hall with the Pergamon Altar will only be fully accessible around 2025/26 but glimpses of the temple may be possible before then and some statues may be seen in the special Pergamonmuseum. Das Panorama exhibition.
Opening Hours on Museum Island Berlin
See Update for Opening Hours of the Berlin State Museums. Time-slot ticket reservations are essential for ALL museums.
The Pergamonmuseum, the Panorama Exhibition and Neues Museum are also open on Monday from 10 am to 6 pm. Admission to these two museum are by time-slot tickets – worth reserving in advance also for free admission and passes (up to around two months in advance possible).
The James Simon Gallery is open half an hour earlier / later than the Pergamon Museum.
Opening Hours of Kulturforum / Cultural Forum Museums in Berlin
The museums in the Kulturforum area are open Tuesday to Sunday from 10 am on weekdays (11 am on weekends) and closing at 6 pm.
The Musical Instruments Museum opens and closes an hour earlier and is often closed on holidays – it is not really an SMB museum but included in the Kulturforum ticket.
The Gemäldegalerie, Neue Nationalgalerie Musical Instruments Museum, and Kunstbibliothek are open on Thursday nights until 8 pm. Temporary exhibitions in the other museums often have late hours on Thursdays as well.
The Neue Nationalgalerie reopened in August 2021.
Opening Hours of Museums in Dahlem
The Museum of European Cultures (Europäischer Kulturen) in Berlin-Dahlem is open Tuesday to Friday from 10 am to 5 pm and weekends from 11 am to 6 pm.
Opening Hours of Museums in Charlottenburg
The Berggruen Museum and Sammlung Scharf-Gerstenberg are open Tuesday to Friday from 10 am to 6 pm and on weekends from 11 am to 6 pm.
The Museum für Fotographie near Zoologischer Bahnhof station is open Tuesday to Sunday from 11 am to 7 pm, closing 8 pm on Thursday.
Opening Hours of the Hamburger Bahnhof
The Hamburger Bahnhof – Museum für Gegenwart – Berlin Museum of Contemporary Art is open Tuesday to Friday from 10 am to 6 pm and weekends from 11 am to 6 pm.
The Hamburger Bahnhof is open on Thursday evening until 8 pm.
Opening Hours for Schloss Köpenick
Schloss Köpenick is open Thursday to Sunday from 11 am to 5 pm.
More on the Berlin State Museums (Staatliche Museen zu Berlin)
Note: Most Berlin museums and similar sights are open in 2022. From 16 May 2022, timeslot reservations are essential for only the Alte Nationalgalerie, Neue Nationalgalerie, Neues Museum, Pergamon Museum and Das Panorama, the Asian Art, and Etnological Museums. Tickets are available from GetYourGuide that seem to have timeslots available when SMB has already sold out — many passes or multi-museum tickets are again available. Individual museum ticket prices range from €6 to €14. Online tickets are skip-the-line — go directly to the gallery entrance to scan the code.
For more general information on the Berlin State Museums:
- Top National Museum and Galleries in Berlin (brief overview)
- Berlin State Museum What Is Seen Where? (a short description of the collections in the different museums)
- New Opening Hours of Berlin State Museum (2022).
Regular opening hours not currently in use: Berlin State Museums Opening Hours (9 to 5 was always going to be too simple)
- Ticket Prices for Berlin State Museums (prices for museums, temporary exhibitions, combination tickets, online time-slot reservations). Buying online from GetYourGuide is a lot simpler and costs the same as the official museum website. Timeslot reservations are essential for the most popular museum!
- Save with the Berlin Museum Pass – 30 museums in three days for €29 – a fantastic savings deal. Buy at Tiqets as an instant-use mobile ticket.
- Staatliche Museen zu Berlin (official website in German & English).
News & Temporary Exhibitions:
- Top Special Temporary Exhibitions in 2022 — overview, in the Kulturforum (David Hockney), in the Neue Nationalgalerie, on Museumsinsel, Hamburger Bahnhof contemporary art, and the Museum of Photography.
- The Humboldt Forum in the Berlin Schloss opened with exhibitions by various museums. The Ethnological and Asian Art museums are partly open but the full museums only open late 2022.
- The Neue Nationalgalerie with twentieth-century art (up to ca. 1970) reopened in 2021.
- The Gemäldegallerie is partly closed until September 2023 but at least 75% is open at any given time. A landscape painting was reattributed to Rembrandt and on show in the David Hockney exhibition (April to July 2022)
More Museums Reviews and Museum Specific Information:
- Alte Nationalgalerie with Caspar David Friedrich paintings.
- Altes Museum with Greek, Etruscan, and Roman art.
- Ethnological and Asian Art Museums in the Humboldtforum.
- Friedrichswerdersche Kirche with free collection of 19th-century German sculptures.
- Gemäldegalerie with its collection of German and Dutch Old Masters and Italian paintings.
- Kunstgewerbemuseum (Decorative Arts)
- Musical Instruments Museum near the Berliner Philharmonie.
- Neue Nationalgalerie with early 20th-century art and Alexander Calder exhibitions.
- Neues Museum with bust of Nefertiti.
- Pergamon Museum with Ishtar Gate.
- Pergamon Museum Panorama Exhibition with Asisi panoramic painting and Greek statues.
- Photography — Helmut Newton collection and historic photos.
Previous Temporary Exhibitions:
- Top Special Temporary Exhibitions in 2021 — including the reopening of the Neue Nationalgalerie, as well as the Ethnological and Asian Art Museums in the Humboldt Forum.
- Top Special Exhibitions in 2020: Highlights, in Kulturforum, on Museum Island, in the Hamburger Bahnhof, smaller museums, and the opening of the Humboldt Forum in December.