Getting to Rothenburg ob der Tauber in Bavaria is easy by car, on public transportation (train), or day-trip bus tours. This wall-enclosed medieval town is a top sight on Germany’s Romantic Road holiday route.
Romantic, wall-encircled Rothenburg ob der Tauber is a top sightseeing destination for travelers to Germany. This small medieval village is a very popular stop on the Romantic Road vacation theme route that cuts through Bavaria. Although slightly off major modern trade routes, transportation to Rothenburg ob der Tauber is easy by car, train, or bus from other major centers in Germany such as Frankfurt am Main, Heidelberg, Nuremberg (Nürnberg), and Munich (München). Day-trip bus tours are often available from Frankfurt or Munich.
Rothenburg ob der Tauber is a very popular day-trip destination but sleeping over allows visitors to appreciate the romantic beauty of this medieval town without being swamped by thousands of day-trip tourists. Use Tripadvisor to compare hotels – as most visitors only stay during the day, sleeping in Rothenburg is often surprisingly cheap.
Suntransfers gives online quotations for private transfers without first requiring personal details or flight numbers.
Rothenburg ob der Tauber on the Romantic and Castles Roads
Tiny Rothenburg ob der Tauber was once the third largest city in Germany and a very important trade center. However, changing trade routes meant that since the Thirty Years’ War in the early seventeenth century this once prosperous city was too poor to rebuild in more contemporary styles. As a result, Rothenburg is now a beautiful example of late medieval architecture and a very popular tourist destination.
Rothenburg ob der Tauber is at the crossing of two of Germany’s most popular holiday-themed routes:
- The Romantic Road (Romantische Straße) is the best-known German vacation route. The Romantic Road connects many enchanting sights mostly in Bavaria from Würzburg with its UNESCO World Cultural Heritage-listed Baroque Residence Palace to the Disney-like, Neo-Romanesque Schloss Neuschwanstein Castle in the Bavarian Alps.
- The Castles Road (Burgenstraße) is equally popular and passes by many historic castles, fortresses, and palaces from Mannheim via Heidelberg, Rothenburg, and Nuremberg to Prague in the Czech Republic.
Driving to Medieval Rothenburg ob der Tauber
Driving to Rothenburg ob der Tauber is easy – the small town is just 5 km (3 mi) off the Autobahn A7. Driving times from Frankfurt is around 1h45 and from Munich 2h20.
When traveling by car, Rothenburg ob der Tauber is an easy day trip from either Frankfurt or Munich, or a very pleasant stop when traveling between these two cities. Park outside the town walls in the large designated parking lots.
See Driving to Rothenburg ob der Tauber for more details.
By Train to Rothenburg ob der Tauber in Germany
Rothenburg ob der Tauber can easily be reached by train. However, Rothenburg is off the main line meaning at least one transfer is required. Total traveling times for generally hourly trains to Rothenburg ob der Tauber are from:
- Frankfurt am Main Hauptbahnhof – 2h30 to 3h00
- Frankfurt International Airport (FRA) – 2h45 to 3h15
- Würzburg – 1h10
- Nuremberg (Nürnberg) – 1h10 to 1h50
- Munich (München) – 2h30 to 3h30
- Heidelberg – 4h00
See By Train to Rothenburg ob der Tauber for more details.
By Romantic Road Coach to Rothenburg ob der Tauber
The Romantic Road Coach (previously EuropaBus Line EB190) is often the easiest way to travel to Rothenburg ob der Tauber when using public transportation — however, the bus route changes almost every year and each year there are some doubts whether the service will actually operate or not. An alternative is day-trip buses from Frankfurt or Munich — not all allow baggage so these are not always an option for one-way travel.
The Romantic Road Bus, operated by EurAide, usually travels a few times per week from mid-April to mid-October from Frankfurt via Würzburg to Rothenburg ob der Tauber and along much of the Romantic Road (sometimes via Munich) to Füssen near Schloss Neuschwanstein Castle.
See Travel the Romantic Road by Bus for more details.
More on Rothenburg ob der Tauber
For more on the Rothenburg ob der Tauber and nearby sights on the Romantic Road:
- Top Sights on the Romantische Straße with Romantic Road Map
- Walk on the Ramparts and Sentry Walk on the Wall of Rothenburg
- Visit the St.-Jakobs-Kirche (St James Church) with the Tilman Riemenschneider Holy Blood Altar
- Visit the Medieval Crime Museum
- Visit the Wolfgang’s Church in the Klingenbastei
- See the Herrgottskirche with Tilman Riemenschneider Altar of the Virgin in nearby Creglingen
- Transportation to Rothenburg ob der Tauber – Driving or Take the Train
- Bus Day-Trip Tours are often available from Frankfurt or Munich.
- Tripadvisor Hotel Comparison – Hotel prices in Rothenburg are surprisingly reasonable, except over weekends.
- Save with the Bayern-Ticket on Train Transportation in Bavaria
- Suntransfers give easy quotations for taxis and airport shuttles from Frankfurt or Munich airports.