Save on Low-Cost and Budget Airlines Flying to DUS Airport in the Ruhr
Low-cost budget and transatlantic airlines have cheap tickets and great deals on flights flying from Europe, the USA, Canada, Africa, and Asia to Düsseldorf Airport (DUS), Germany.
Düsseldorf Flughafen (DUS) is just outside Düsseldorf and can easily be reached on public transportation. It is Germany’s third busiest airport with many low-cost airlines but also numerous intercontinental flights. Düsseldorf Airport is a major hub for Lufthansa as well as low-cost airline LTU and airberlin. Düsseldorf is convenient to many Ruhr cities including Essen, Duisburg, and even for other Rhineland cities such as Cologne (Köln) or Bonn. Trains provide cheap and fast ground transportation to Düsseldorf and other Ruhr cities.
- Around 70 airlines fly from Düsseldorf Airport to 170 destinations worldwide. DUS is a good alternative to Frankfurt International Airport and future expansion may offer good deals for travelers from the US and Canada in particular.
Cheap Flights on Low-Cost Airline airberlin from Düsseldorf Airport (DUS)
Air Berlin serves the largest number of destinations of the low-cost airlines flying from Düsseldorf Airport. Air Berlin’s has direct flights to Alicante, Antalya, Arrecife, Barcelona, Berlin-Tegel, Copenhagen, Dresden, Fuerteventura, Hamburg, Helsinki, Heraklion, Hurghada, Ibiza, Jersey, Karpathos, Las Palmas, London-Stansted, Los Angeles, Luxor, Mahon, Málaga, Milan-Malpensa, Moscow-Domodedovo, Munich, New York-JFK, Nice, Nuremberg, Palma de Mallorca, Paris-Orly, Preveza, Pristina, Rhodos, Rome-Fiumicino, Samos, Seville, St. Petersburg, Stuttgart, Tenerife-South, Thessoloniki, Trabzon, Vancouver, Venice, Vienna, Westerland/Sylt, Zakynthos, and Zurich.
- Airberlin’s seasonal flights to New York-JFK, Los Angeles, and Vancouver are not always listed on all internet reservation services making it sensible to compare reservation agents prior to making reservations. Airberlin has an excellent reputation for great service not usually associated with a low-cost airline.
Cheap Intercontinental Flights on German Low-Cost Airline LTU from Düsseldorf Airport (DUS)
LTU, a well-respected German airline with an excellent safety record, uses Düsseldorf Airport as a major hub for flights to popular holiday destinations. LTA serves mostly intercontinental destinations from Düsseldorf including Bangkok-Suvarnabhumi, Cancún, Fort Myers, La Romana, Male, Miami, Mombasa, Montego Bay, Puerto Plata, Punta Cana, and Varadero.
- Many of LTU’s flights are seasonal and not listed by many internet reservation agents.
Cheap Flights on Other Low-Cost Airlines from Düsseldorf Airport (DUS)
Several other low-cost airlines including TUIfly, Condor, Blue Wings, Flybe, and jet2com fly from Düsseldorf Airport mostly to Mediterranean, Scandinavian, Russian, and UK destinations. Düsseldorf Airport is expensive and mostly favored by full-service airlines – most major European airlines fly here offering connections through many European capitals.
- For true budget flights, it is often necessary to use nearby Cologne-Bonn Airport (CGN) or Airport Weeze (NRN), which are very popular with low-cost airlines.
Cheap Flights on German Lufthansa from Düsseldorf Airport (DUS)
Lufthansa uses Düsseldorf Airport as its third German hub after Frankfurt and Munich Airports. It has a wide range of direct flights as well as seamless connections through especially Frankfurt Airport.
Lufthansa frequently has internet-only fares for €99 return on European routes making Lufthansa’s pricing very competitive with low-cost airlines during off-peak hours.
- Lufthansa has non-stop transatlantic flights from Düsseldorf to Chicago-O’Hare and Newark with seasonal flights to Miami and Toronto-Pearson.
Cheap Intercontinental Flights to the USA and Canada from Düsseldorf Airport (DUS)
Lufthansa, airberlin, and LTU have direct flights to the USA and Canada from Düsseldorf Airport (DUS). The only US carrier flying directly to Düsseldorf Airport is Delta Airlines flying from Atlanta (ATL).
Düsseldorf Airport is easily reached via numerous transportation options from downtown Düsseldorf and beyond.
Alternative airports to Düsseldorf include Cologne-Bonn Airport (CGN) and Airport Weeze (NRN) popular with ultra-low-cost airline Ryanair. Both have numerous cheap flights to short-haul European destinations. For longer distances and intercontinental flights, Frankfurt Airport is usually the best alternative airport.