The Carolus Thermen in Aachen is a large baby-free day spa with several warm water thermal pools, saunas, massages, and beauty treatments.
NOTE: The Carolus Thermen is open but in 2022 requires advance online bookings for admission tickets and any spa treatments.
The Carolus Thermen is a large, modern-day spa in the German city Aachen. The main draws are the variety of warm water thermal baths and the sauna selection. Typical day spa additions such as massages and beauty treatments are available. The spa has three restaurants on-premises. Adults will appreciate the baby-free spa – children under six are not admitted at all to this day spa. The Carolus Thermen day spa is within easy reach of other cities such as Cologne, Maastricht, and Brussels, whether driving or using public transportation. In 2022, advance online reservations are essential for admission tickets and any spa treatments. Admission is discounted by around 20% while not all of the facilities are open.
Carolus Thermen Day Spa in Aachen
The Romans already enjoyed the warm mineral waters of Aachen and Charlemagne famously had his palace (and now even more famous church) built here in part due to the presence of the hot water. However, the current Carolus Thermen is a modern facility with all the latest day spa facilities.
The Aachen Carolus Thermen day spa is divided into four sections: the Thermal World (Thermalwelt), Sauna World (Saunawelt), Indulgence World (Verwöhnwelt), and Gourmet World (Schlemmerwelt). The sauna world is completely nude (FKK / Textilfrei) while swimming clothes are obligatory in the thermal baths.
Thermalwelt Hot Water Pools in Aachen
The Thermalwelt with its various thermal baths is the main draw for visitors to the Carolus Thermen day spa in Aachen. Various medical cures are claimed for the mineral-rich waters but most visitors simply enjoy relaxing in the hot water, Jacuzzis, water jets, and other water features.
The Carolus spa has five interior baths with temperatures ranging from 18°C to 46°C. The main pool is 34°C. The two exterior swimming pools are 32°C and up to 1.3 m deep. A beach area and outdoor sunning areas are open when the weather allows.
Free aqua gymnastics are offered up to six times per day but only once on weekends.
Due to the high mineral contents of the water, children under six are not allowed into the day spa at all.
Saunawelt Saunas at Carolus Thermen Day Spa
The sauna world of the Carolus Thermen day spa has 15 different saunas and steam rooms, a sauna lake, and a Japanese garden.
The sauna world is divided into further sections and spread over several floors:
- The Baltic Sauna landscape has two dry saunas (70 – 100°C).
- The Sauna Garden has four further saunas (60-100°C) and a warm outdoor pool.
- The Oriental World of Baths has eight steam rooms or hamam stations
- The Feminarium has a further sauna and steam room open to woman only
As is the common practice in Germany, the sauna area is completely in the nude and genders are mixed. Robes or towels may be used when moving between saunas.
Spa Treatments at the Carolus Thermen
The Carolus Thermen offers the full range of typical day spa treatments to visitors – not all require admission fees to the rest of the spa. In addition to massages and beauty treatments, private Jacuzzis are also available.
Spa treatments and massages are best reserved in advance, although may be booked onsite if slots are available.
Restaurants at the Carolus Thermen
The Carolus Thermen has three separate restaurants:
- Bistro Esseria serves typical German and European dishes.
- Auszeit serves anything from extravagant breakfasts to smaller snacks or complete meals but is only accessible from the Saunawelt area.
- Kochkultur Bar & Restaurant is a full-service restaurant with a large variety of food. It is also accessible to diners not visiting the spa. A beer garden opens when the weather allows.
It is allowed to bring own small snacks and non-alcoholic drinks but no glass containers.
Opening Hours and Prices for the Carolus Therme
The Carolus Thermen day spa in Aachen is open every day of the year from 9 am to 11 pm – shorter hours may apply over major holidays.
Admission to the Carolus Thermen is priced according to the time spent in the day spa. Prices range from €14 for 3.5 hours to €18 for the whole day. Prices on weekends are €2 more per person.
Admission to the sauna world is around double the standard thermal baths fee. A saunas-only tariff is not available.
Children 6 to 15 are only admitted with adults, no discounts. Children under six are not allowed inside the complex.
Transportation to the Carolus Thermen in Aachen
The Carolus Thermen is to the northeast of the town center of Aachen on the edge of the Stadtgarden (city garden park) at Passstr 79. If arriving from outside Aachen by car, exit the Autobahn at “Aachen Zentrum / Würselen”. Ample parking (€6) is available in the Carolus Therme parking garage.
The spa can be reached on foot from the town center or on bus 34 or 51 – the Carolus Therme bus stop is directly in front of the spa. On weekdays, a special “Ticket to Wellness” can be bought on the bus – these give slight discounts and include return bus transportation plus 3.5 hours of admission to the day spa. (Additional time or admission to the sauna world can be added at the spa.)
Aachen is the westernmost city in Germany and most famous for the Aachen Cathedral (Aachener Dom) that was the palatine chapel of Charlemagne and still has his original marble throne (Karlsthron), his remains in a gilt shrine (Karlsschrein), and further relics in the treasury.
More on Aachen (Aix-la-Chapelle) in Germany
- Visit Aachen Cathedral – overview, opening hours & guided tours
- Building of Aachen Cathedral – history and exterior appearance
- Interior of Aachen Cathedral
- The Throne of Charlemagne (Karlsthron)
- See the Choir of Aachen Cathedral – remains of Charlemagne in the Karlsschrein reliquary
- Aachen Cathedral Treasury
- Top Sights and Christmas Market in Aachen
- Relax in the Carolus Thermen hot water day spa — open in 2022 but reservation essential.
- Transportation to Aachen in Germany
- Transportation to Maastricht-Aachen Airport (MST)
- Transportation timetables to Aachen at Omio or Deutsche Bahn
- Hotels in Aachen recommended by TripAdvisor users.
- More photos on Flickr.