Buses and Trains Train to Flughafen Tegel (TXL) and Schönefeld (SXF), Germany
Buses and trains allow for cheap and fast transportation from downtown Berlin (Mitte, Zoo, Hauptbahnhof) to Flughafen Tegel (TXL) or Schönefeld (SXF) airport.
Public transportation is the easiest, cheapest, and often fastest way to reach Berlin’s two airports: Tegel (TXL) and Schönefeld (SXF). Buses are mostly used to Tegel, while Schönefeld is usually reached by train. Taxis are of course easily available too but expensive. Small groups may find private airport shuttle bus services worthwhile but book in advance and do compare prices as services vary widely. My Driver gives online quotations for private airport transfers without first requiring personal details or flight numbers.
NOTE: Berlin Brandenburg International Willy Brandt Airport (BER / BBI) will replace Berlin Tegel (TXL) and Berlin Schönefeld (SXF) airports as the only airport serving the capital of Germany from
June 2012 October 2013 eventually (maybe 2018!). The Berlin Airport Express train will be the fastest and for most passengers the most convenient way to travel from Berlin Mitte to Berlin Airport (BER).
Buses from Tegel Airport (TXL) to Central Berlin Mitte
Frequent buses provide the easiest and cheapest way from Tegel Airport to central Berlin. Tegel Airport (TXL) is in tariff zone B, requiring an AB ticket from Central Berlin. All regular tickets and passes are valid.
Two JetExpressBuses – extra-long buses with special space for luggage halting only at major stops – run from Tegel Airport:
- X9 connects Flughafen Tegel with Zoologischer Garten Station, the heart of former West Berlin, in 20 minutes.
- TXL runs from Flughafen Tegel to Prenzlauer Berg in 40 minutes. En route, it stops amongst others at the Hauptbahnhof (20 minutes), Unter den Linden (30 minutes), and Alexander Platz (35 minutes).
Regular bus lines from Tegel Airport to Central Berlin:
- Bus 109 connects Flughafen Tegel with Zoologischer Garten Station in 27 minutes. It has more stops than bus X9 – amongst others at the following S and U-Bahn train stations: Charlottenburg (17 minutes), Adenauerplatz (19 minutes), Uhlandstraße (23 minutes), and Kurfürstendamm (25 minutes).
For more details see: Transportation to Berlin-Tegel (TXL) Airport.
Public Transportation from Schönefeld Airport (SXF) to Central Berlin Mitte
Trains generally provides the easiest transportation from Berlin-Schönefeld Airport to downtown. Arrive early as lines are long and slow moving at this airport popular with budget airlines.
Trains from Schönefeld Airport to Berlin
The Airport Express is the fastest way from Schönefeld to central Berlin. It is a regional train (RE7 or RB14 but clearly marked as Airport Express) that runs every 30 minutes S-Bahn Station Flughafen Berlin-Schönefeld through central Berlin. En route, it stops at Ostbahnhof (17 minutes), Alexanderplatz (21 minutes), Friedrichstraße (24 minutes), Hauptbahnhof (28 minutes), and Zoologischer Garten (32 minutes). The Airport Express operates from around 5 am to 11 pm.
An alternative is to use S-Bahn train S9 to Ostkreuz station and then change to S3, S7, or S75 for downtown Berlin. These S-Bahn trains follow basically the same route as the Airport Express but with more stops en route and more services late at night.
It is a 400-m (1/4 mile) walk via a covered walkway from the airport to the railway station – bus 164 can also be used.
The direct regional train RB22 directly from Schönefeld to Potsdam no longer operates – use the regular trains via Berlin Hauptbahnhof.
Buses from Schönefeld Airport to Berlin
Buses from Schönefeld Airport are generally used only to connect to the nearby S-Bahn and U-Bahn train stations – these are particularly useful late at night or early morning.
- Buses 163, 164 and 171 (and night bus N60) run from Flughafen Schönefeld via S-Bahn Station Flughafen Berlin-Schönefeld (3 minutes) to S-Bahn Station Adlershof in 19 minutes.
- X7 is a JetExpressBus connecting Flughafen Schönefeld and U-Bahn station Rudow (U-Bahn line U7) in 7 minutes. Night bus N7 does the same route.
Schönefeld is currently in tariff zone C, requiring an ABC ticket from Central Berlin. All regular tickets and passes are valid.
For more details see: Transportation to Berlin-Schönefeld Airport (SXF).