Getting to Weeze Airport near Düsseldorf is easy by train, car, or shuttle bus services from Cologne, Duisburg, Essen, Venlo, Arnhem, Nijmegen, Utrecht, and Amsterdam.
Getting to Weeze Airport (NRN) is not particularly difficult but it is more complicated than traveling to many other major German airports. Weeze Airport (NRN) is around 70 km to the northeast of Düsseldorf and 30 km from the Nijmegen in the Netherlands. Weeze Airport can be reached by car, bus, and train but transfers are usually needed.
Weeze Airport is sometimes referred to by its old name Flughafen Niederrhein (Lower Rhine) – a name that lives on in its IATA code NRN. Low-cost airline Ryanair refers to the airport as Düsseldorf (Weeze) but the airport is far from Düsseldorf and a far cry from the large and convenient Düsseldorf Airport (DUS) that is only minutes to the north of Düsseldorf.
By Car to Weeze Airport (NRN) in Germany
Driving is the easiest way to reach Weeze Airport. The airport is just off the Autobahn A57 (use exit 3 – Goch/Weeze or exit 4 – Uedem / Weeze), with good access from most cities in the Ruhr district or Dutch cities such as Arnhem, Nijmegen, and Venlo. Reasonably priced parking is readily available at the airport.
Driving distances to Weeze Airport are for example:
- Aachen – 145 km
- Arnhem (Netherlands) – 70 km
- Cologne / Köln – 110 km
- Dortmund – 110 km
- Düsseldorf – 70 km
- Duisburg – 60 km
- Essen – 80 km
- Krefeld – 60 km
- Mönchengladbach – 65 km
- Nijmegen (Netherlands) – 60 km
- Venlo (Netherlands) – 35 km
Car hire companies with car rental desks inside Weeze Airport include Avis, Europcar, Hertz, and Sixt. Rental cars (Mietwagen) at Weeze Airport are best reserved in advance for the cheapest prices and to ensure availability.
Taxis and Private Shuttle Van Services from Weeze Airport in Germany
Taxis and private airport shuttle van services are best reserved in advance when traveling from Weeze Airport. Expect to pay for pre-booked private airport transfers around to Duisburg €70, Düsseldorf €100, Essen €100, Cologne €130, Weeze station €25. For destinations in the Netherlands expect to pay to Venlo €40, Nijmegen €70, Arnhem €100, and around €300 to Amsterdam. Taxi2Airport and Suntransfers give online quotations for private airport transfers without first requiring personal details or flight numbers.
Most solo travelers will find better value when going by bus or train although small groups and families may value the convenience of going directly from airport to accommodation without transfers. Private shuttle services are also great when traveling at odd hours or to destinations without regular public transportation links.
By Train from Weeze Airport (NRN) in Germany
Weeze Airport (NRN) is not directly on the German rail network but trains are a sensible option for traveling from the airport. From Weeze Airport, take a ten-minute bus ride to Weeze train station. The bus runs generally once per hour with times link to train arrival / departure times.
From Weeze station, two trains per hour go to Düsseldorf Hauptbahnhof in just over an hour. Düsseldorf has excellent railway connections to all parts of Germany. Travelers to Ruhr cities such as Duisburg, Essen, Bochum, and Dortmund, as well as Cologne (Köln), Bonn, Mönchengladbach, Aachen, and Venlo (Netherlands) can change trains at Krefeld, which is 40 minutes from Weeze station in the direction of Düsseldorf.
Small groups can travel very cheaply to Weeze Airport by train when using the Schöner-Tag-Ticket NRW.
For more details see By Train to Weeze Airport.
By Bus to Weeze Airport (NRN) in Germany
Airport shuttle buses are often the cheapest and most convenient way to travel to Weeze Airport:
- Flibco (previously operated Schilling / Bohr Ominbus) has cheap bus services to Weeze from Duisburg and Düsseldorf – as low as €5 for off-peak periods. (Cologne / Köln is no longer served by bus.)
- Public transportation network buses to Weeze and Kevelaer stations.
- Bus services to Dutch cities are available to Venlo, Nijmegen, and Arnhem. (Services to Eindhoven, Den Bosch, Utrecht, and Amsterdam were suspended but might resume in the summer season.)
- The previous Airport Shuttle Express minibus van services to Weeze Airport from Moers, Duisburg, and Essen have been suspended since November 2018. It is unclear if the service will resume in the summer season 2019.
- Many shuttle bus services to Weeze Airport (NRN) require advance reservations.
Transfers from Weeze Airport (NRN) to Düsseldorf Airport (DUS)
No direct bus or train services are available between Weeze Airport (NRN), popular with low-cost airlines, and Düsseldorf Airport (DUS), a major international airport used by most airlines flying to the Ruhr region.
To transfer from Weeze Airport (NRN) to Düsseldorf Airport (DUS) use the train to Düsseldorf Hauptbahnhof (main train station) and then take a train to Düsseldorf Airport (DUS). The total traveling time is just less than two hours but only one departure per hour is possible from Weeze Airport.
Taxis or private shuttle transfers are of course available too and best reserved in advance – expect to pay around €150. Taxi2Airport and Suntransfers give online quotations for private airport transfers without first requiring personal details or flight numbers.
More on Weeze Airport (NRN):
- Cheap Transportation to Weeze Airport (NRN)
- By Train to Weeze Airport
- Buses and Trains from Weeze Airport to Düsseldorf, Duisburg & Cologne
- Buses from Weeze Airport to Duisburg, Essen & the Ruhr
- Buses from Weeze Airport to the Netherlands (Venlo, Arnhem, Nijmegen, Utrecht & Amsterdam)
- Cheap Flights to Weeze Airport
- Taxi2Airport and Suntransfers give onlines quotation for pre-booked transfers without requiring personal details in advance.
- Online timetables for Deutsche Bahn (German Railways) for departures from from Airport Terminal, Weeze or journeys to Weeze Airport.